Position Title: Staff Accountant
Department Unit: Finance
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- The Staff Accountant works under the supervision of the CFO to maintain financial records, maintain the general ledger, and perform general bookkeeping related to Laurel House, Inc. and Friends of Laurel House, Inc., both 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organizations.
- Workload includes the following:
- processing biweekly payroll (ADP service used).
- processing vendor payments.
- depositing donations from Development Department’s fundraising initiatives.
- preparing accounting related entries for the general ledger.
- preparing monthly accounting closings.
- general clerical and administrative functions.
The Staff Accountant will have responsibility for: using and maintaining QuickBooks; preparing monthly accounting closings; monthly account reconciliations; receipt of money; reconciliation of bank accounts; making bank deposits; paying bills; handling petty cash; assuring expenditures are properly recorded; processing monthly rent payments from approximately 30 apartment residents.
- Manage Laurel House’s accounting records; record monthly journal entries and maintain I/C accounts.
- Maintain detailed reconciliation of balance sheet and revenue and expense accounts.
- Process accounts payable invoices utilizing bank’s online payment system; resolve discrepancies.
- Prepare invoices for clients, grants and other organizations as needed.
- Record and deposit all cash received from donations, grant funding and residential rent payments.
- Perform monthly reconciliation of bank statements.
- Process bi-weekly payroll through ADP.
- Record and drawdown HUD grants.
- Reconcile petty cash receipts with cash on hand.
- Prepare documentation to assist external auditors during annual audit.
- Prepare financial analysis to support operational projects as assigned.
- Human Resource support responsibilities include: maintaining employee files; recording employee time-off; funding of employee retirement and health savings accounts; coordination of new employee background and drug screenings with outside service; coordination/ distribution of staff monthly calendar and phone directory listing.
- Responsible monthly for ordering office supplies.
- File accounting records, contracts, bank agreements, leases, insurance policies.
- Maintain permits, licenses and registrations.
- Work closely with Development/Fundraising Dept
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and basic accounting techniques and procedures.
- Proficient in use of computer accounting software and spreadsheets (QuickBooks, Excel, and Word preferred).
- Able to read and understand basic monthly financial statements (e.g., Statement of Activities, Balance Sheet; Cash Flow).
- Good organizational skills; able to manage multiple activities simultaneously.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Able to develop and maintain effective working relationships with staff and interact with Laurel House program participants.
- Good filing skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting preferred; at a minimum, an associate’s degree in accounting.
- two plus years of experience in accounting or related fields; working in an organization with annual revenues of $3 million or greater.
Laurel House, Inc. is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization that helps individuals and families achieve and sustain mental health to lead fulfilling lives in the community. Its core purpose is social inclusion, early intervention, and recovery. Laurel House is an equal opportunity employer, committed to the advancement of racial equity and social justice, and to making mental health services accessible to all.
To apply for this position please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org